Tuesday 1 May 2007

Girlfriends Birthday

I think the title indicates the event occuring over the next couple of days. And before you ask, no the picture on the left is not a picture of my girlfriend, if it was I think I would have to end the relationship.

She will be 23 and coming into her final year at university, she is currently studying Theatre Design (I'm sure I have stated that before). She does have a 'dappy' attribute to her character and that attribute shone through today. I thought it might be an enjoyable blog to document.

I got to work at my usual time of 7am, doing the usual business/IT reports for the company directors/managers and everything was great, well as great as work can be. I spent the following two hours doing my daily work load, fixing PC's, configuring telephone networks etc etc. This was until I received a phone call from my girlfriend at 9am. She spent the previous evening at my flat and being a student didn't need to crawl into university until 10am. She was being particularly nice to me, and as any good man knows alarm bells start to ring in your head that a request for something abnormal or extreme is about to be presented to you. Except this request was something a little more comical.

Just to set the scene, my flat does not make use of a Yale lock, which is basically designed to lock behind you as soon as you close your front door. My front door uses a Chub lock. This basically means that I need to unlock it when I want to go out, close the door behind me and lock it behind me. (Most people will probably know the difference between the locks but I thought it best to explain). Anyway, my girlfriend being 'dappy' as she is, gave me a kiss goodbye this morning watched as I unlocked the door and locked it behind me and proceeded to relax the rest of the morning blissfully unaware that HER FRONT DOOR KEYS were sitting on her desk at University.

9am conversation on my mobile went something like this:

Me: "Hey honey, so what do I owe the pleasure?"
GF: "Oh my god I am locked IN, I AM LOCKED IN, I have a presentation and I am LOCKED IN, did I say I was LOCKED IN??????"
Me: "Woah woah, calm down, slowly, breath, now whats the problem?"
GF: "I left my keys at University and I AM LOCKED IN, I can't jump 2 floors out of the window, I was going to try but decided I could break a limb.....I need you to drive back and let me out of this prison!!!"

So being the gentlemen, I spent an hour driving to the flat, and an hour heading back into work. I had to lose my lunch hour to rescue my girlfriend from the dreaded clutches of the evil flat, and an extra hour at the end of the day. Am I too nice? Or just plain crazy? I guess its her birthday and I didn't really have anyother choice, well that's what I tell myself.

No comments: