Thursday 26 April 2007

First UK law firm opens 'virtual' office in Second Life

No doubt most people have seen the headlines regarding the first uk law firm (Field Fisher Waterhouse) opening a 'virtual office' in Second Life. I read the article about it at Times Online and thought it might be interesting to try and give it a go, and see if I could find the 'virtual office' of Field Fisher Waterhouse.

So I installed Second Life on my computer, signed up, it was all quite simple and easy to perform. I created my avatar and named him 'Law Apprentice Oh', for some reason you have to give your avatar a family name, I chose 'Oh'. I am guessing it's for when you create more than one avatar it can then group them under one surname.

I logged into the game and was immediately struck by how slow it was, it took a good 5mins for my avatar and others around me to finish loading. I have quite a powerful PC considering I work in IT, it is a requisite of the job, so I couldn't believe it was something on my end. I then proceeded to follow through the tutorial, well some of the tutorial, I found it incredibly boring and time consuming and after eventually managing to pick up some bizarre medieval armour, I just shut it down.

So my journey to the 'virtual office' ended prematurely, in fairness to Second Life I didn't really give it a chance, so I might zoom back in there again at some point to continue the journey. The flying aspect of it I found to be great fun, the depth of the world appears incredible, but regarding the general movement and speed, I was not really impressed.

So if you managed to get it downloaded and installed have a look around for Law Apprentice avatar, I doubt I will be in there much but you never know, you can visit the Second Life website here

No comments: