Wednesday 4 April 2007

Race, Sex, Class........Age? An e-mail from a law firm! JOY!!

One of my main worries, being a more mature 20yr old, is the possibility that my age will prove to be a hinderance to my applications to law firms. At the moment the law world in the UK is under going a transformation when it looks towards minorities and potential female solicitors. Their rights and opportunities are being plastered all over the press and internet, but amongst all this fracas I can't really see anyone talking about age.

I have read of people joining the Bar at age 40+, but not solicitors joining law firms at that age, which is understandable...but doesn't apply to me because its a long time before I am that age. By the time I finish my law degree I will be in the infancy of my 30's.


When I go to law firm sites, they always seem to cater only for university grads, I use the term 'only' very loosely as I am sure their are plenty of law firms which take a more general view to employment on their websites and recruitment pamphlets.

I do worry though that when I walk into a law firm as an early 30yr old man, I will coming up against fresh, 'younger' straight A's A-Level students, with perfect 1st in their Law degree. My A-Levels are far from straight A's but I aim to get a 1st on my law degree. I suppose I would just like some law firms to state that they value work/life experience as much as a perfect academic record when they interview older employees. That way I wouldn't worry as much about my previous not so perfect academic career.

So thats exactly what I did, I e-mailed some major law firms to see what their approach to mature students were, to see if a not so perfect academic record would cause problems.

Here is what SIMMONS & SIMMONS had to say:


"Dear Law Apprentice,
Thank you for your recent email. With regards to your query, I can confirm that every application is assessed on its individual merits and not academics. We would welcome an application from you for a position with us.
Regards
Graduate Recruitment Administrator

Simmons & Simmons"

I obviously edited out my own name and the name of the Graduate Recruitment Admin, don't want him to be spammed with questions from people, but what great news to read. Of course this is just text, if it occurs in practice is still questionable, but its a start.

I got another one from Lovells, even better:

"
Dear Law Apprentice

Thank you for your email.

We consider all parts of an application and would certainly not rule you out based purely on your A-level grades. We look closely at results for all subjects at degree level and would expect successful candidates to be achieving a 2.1 or above in each subject. The quality of candidates' answers is also looked at closely (including spelling and grammar).

As you have been working in a different industry already, please do use examples of the skills you have acquired and developed within the body of your application form. You will also need to inform us of the reasons why you have decided to pursue a legal career in the City and your interest in commercial/business issues. Our selection criteria for all vacancies at Lovells can be found on our website under the FAQ section, so please do visit it for further information: www.lovells.com/graduates.

I do hope this has answered your queries, but please do not hesitate to
contact me should you have further questions.

Thank you for your interest in Lovells.

Yours sincerely

HR Officer"

What a thoroughly lovely recruitment department at Lovells, not only did they give me a positive response they gave me some hints at what to research and what may be asked of me.

Anyhow this post is getting long enough, just thought it might help some people out there

No comments: