Monday 2 April 2007

Moving careers...

I was mulling over my previous blog, and thought it read like a sweaty sock, deciding it was too boring to just leave as a blog post for the day I have decided to write another

What is it like changing careers? I was trying to solidify my experience thus far of deciding to give up a promising career in Information Technology to move too law. My girlfriend sometimes turns round to me and says:

"Oooo your going to make soooo much money, and we can buy my parents a car, I can become a house wife and the holidays..etc"

Before you think it shes never really seemed the money type, so I think her excitement is shadowed by my need to keep my feet firmly on the ground. Plus the fact I haven't even started the LLB yet, lets get some perspective here, I haven't even dipped my little pinky toe in the ocean of qualifying as a solicitor/barrister

Moving into Law I try to keep the negative aspects at the forefront of my mind. Its important for me to do this, because I don't really want to get carried away with the thought of sealing huge deals and travelling abroad to meet clients, whilst raking in huge 15% bonuses. I prefer to keep the realistic issues in perspective, such as working 60-70hr weeks, or the immense pressures involved in trying to keep a client happy whilst billing as many hours as possible. I think I do this because I am worried that after all the work and all the extra debt I will end up spending my first month in Law, thinking

"Holy cow, batman! This is BORING"

Lets be honest here LAW IS TOUGH for all the positives there are similar weighed negatives, and thats fine, bring it on I say, you want 70hr weeks out of me, you got it, you want me to get that multi-billion pound deal signed with Barclays, whilst in the middle of my girlfriend giving birth to my first child!!! YOU GOT IT!! BRING IT ON LAW cause whatever you got, I can take it.

For now I will just keep reading books, blogs and trying to do as much research as I can about firms, types of law and who does the best donuts

Besides if I fail, I could always come back to IT......but I am not going to fail

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

I have recently stumbled across your blawg and just wanted to say that it has been a really interesting read so far.

I have added a link to your Blawg on my site, Law Geek, to let others know about your blawg.

Keep up the good work and good luck with the career change!

Law Apprentice said...

Cheers Law Geek I will put a link to your site on my blog as well