Thursday 19 April 2007

Law Firm Interviews and strange questions

I have recently been reading Accidental Law Student and couldn't help notice in one of his blogs a strange question asked to him by some HR people in a law firm.

It got me thinking, wouldn't it be interesting to hunt down some obscure interview questions and answer them. I would claim it is in preparation for interviews in the far future, but it just seems like good fun for now. Interviews are too far away to consider any work now to be beneficial to them.

Anyhow I managed to find some and have posted them below along with some my responses (Not serious responses might i add)

  • If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be?
  • Superman without a doubt, he has all the cool super abilities wrapped up into one

  • If Hollywood made a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you?
    A young Charles Bronson, the man was brilliant in "Once upon a time in the west" with his harmonica

  • If you could be a superhero, what would you want your superpowers to be?
  • Mind reading and super speed

  • If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be?
  • Changes

  • If you had to be shipwrecked on a deserted island, but all your human needs - such as food and water - were taken care of, what two items would you want to have with you?
  • PC and a yacht to sail back home in when i felt like it

  • If you had six months with no obligations or financial constraints, what would you do with the time?
    Travel South America, China and Russia
  • If you had only six months left to live, what would you do with the time?
    Spend every minute doing things that made me happy
  • If you could have dinner with anyone from history, who would it be, and why?
    Hitler, just to find out what was running through his mind during the holocaust and why
  • If you could compare yourself with any animal, which would it be and why?
  • Wolf, because of their bond with their family/friends and their ability to be so gentle yet so aggressive when its required of them

  • If you were a type of food, what type of food would you be?
  • A salad covered in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, healthy and sharp at the same time

  • If you won $20 million in the lottery, what would you do with the money?
  • Invest in property throughout England, buy a nice car,nice house and live off the interest, might even invest in a small law firm of my own

  • If you were a salad, what kind of dressing would you have?
  • Olive oil and balsamic vinegar

  • How do I rate as an interviewer?
    You are not a particularly good interviewer
  • If you were a car, what kind would you be?
    Petrol, 4WD...hmm maybe not probably a 1.1 now
  • Who do you admire the most and why?
    I don't really admire anyone, I feel I want to make my own way in life, and admiring someone suggests that I attempting to perform what they did, which is not what I want
  • In the news story about your life, what would the headline say?
    IT Harddrive cleaned, installing Legal software
I rushed most of the answers but thought it would be interesting to give it a go, maybe give it a go yourself

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you'd run a spelling and grammar check on the real application forms though, right?

Law Apprentice said...

I must have written 5-6 responses to this comment, but none seemed to fit what I wanted to say, so I guess I would just like you to copy and paste the bad grammar here please. I know there is alot in the blog, but I am too lazy to peruse something that is just a brain dump and not something I would spend alot of time trying to perfect. Thanks in advance

Anonymous said...

If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be?

Superman without a doubt, he has all the cool super abilities rapped up into one, bad litigation? Zap em with the lazer eyes

How do I rate as an interviewer?
Your crap

...were some of the culprits.

Should basic spelling and grammar really be something over which you need to take a lot of time "trying to perfect" if you're considering a career as a lawyer, particularly given the high standard of applicants in all fields?

Law Apprentice said...

Oh thanks for the input as well, nice to have some constructive criticism for once. Hopefully I will receive more, in fact I expect it.

Shame I don't get to know who you are, if you notice anymore annoyances, please let me know.

Law Apprentice said...

Oh and in answer to your question, I don't really need to spend time perfecting spelling or grammar, it is dependant on the piece of work and what it is for.

To make more sense I speak and act differently round a friend, compared to how I would act towards a Director of the company at work. The same as I would write a letter to my girlfriend more loosely than I would write a letter to a client at work.

Certain given situations warrant certain approaches, I suppose I got lazy writing that blog due to my lack of care. I know now that I should be more careful in future, or face the criticism of the ANONYMOUS...ooooooo ahem

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the criticism of ANONYMOUS is constructive. Anonymous has observed that throughout your blog you have trouble with 'your' and 'you're' and also 'there' and 'their'. It's worth fixing, particularly in light of Lovells' assurance (4th April blog) that "the quality of candidates' answers is also looked at closely (including spelling and grammar). That is all.