Tuesday 10 April 2007

Writing, speaking and grammar, lap it up

Whether I like it or not I have to admit to myself that I am a little rusty on the writing, speaking and grammar skills needed to truly be a top rate lawyer. When I was in my 6th form at school I took Politics, English (Lang & Lit) and History, a super collection of subjects for essay writing.

However, it was nearly 10yrs ago when I took part in these subjects, so to claim I am a little rusty would be a bit modest. So I decided it would be a good idea to start brushing up on my essay writing skills again.

Whilst looking through the jungles of the internet searching for any guidance I found some particularly interesting sites which could help improve your writing skills, I have listed them below

The Royal Literary Fund - Essay Guide

Web Grammar Free Tips

Legal Dictionary

Another Legal Dictionary

Business Proposal writing

Cool Grammar tidbits you never really knew

In the last link I especially like the description about the difference between 'practice' and practise' I would recommend checking it out, I think I recall a barrister stating that it was a necessity to know the difference between them.

If you know anyother good writing and grammar sites or even ones to improve your speech, just add them in the comments, I haven't really gone looking for speech ones yet but I am sure I will find some. Speaking properly is obviously a key aspect of working with clients, but the curtain cloaking the speech patterns of lawyers intrigues me, maybe someone out there has some inside knowledge about it?

On a side note the bank holiday weekend was a messy and expensive one, I swear I am going to stop drinking unnecessarily to try and save some cash, and my girlfriend arrives back from the USA tomorrow morning so GOOD MOOD!!!!! WOO! I am sure she will start appearing in this blog from time to time now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you could check out http://grammar.qdnow.com/ . it teaches you when to use who/whom, dashes/semi-colons, and shows some common grammar mistakes.

Law Apprentice said...

Ooo thanks alot thats a really good site too